BENEFITS OF PALLIATIVE CARE
Who Can Benefit?
Palliative care is appropriate for anyone with a chronic, serious illness who is experiencing uncontrolled symptoms caused by the disease itself or as a side-effect from current treatment.
* Patients with Cancer, CHF, COPD, renal failure, Alzheimer’s, and other chronic conditions
* Patients with a serious illness AND one or more of the following:
- Frequent ER visits or hospitalizations
- Uncontrolled physical or emotional symptoms
- Difficulty with accessing office-based care
- Uncertainty about goals of care and/or caregiver distress
Individuals living with chronic, serious illnesses often find themselves in an unending cycle of health crises that lead from home to the hospital and back home again.
Patients and families benefit from:
- Effective pain and symptom management
- Improved quality of life
- A plan of care based on your needs and goals
- Maintaining independence & control over your care
- Coordination of care and community services
- Reduced hospital readmissions and Emergency Room visits
- Disease education and treatment options
- Support to reduce the stress that may come with a serious illness
- Extra layer of support in partnership with your provider and your caregiver